New year – new body
Shar Ransom Tutor – Pre Health and Science, Tai Poutini Polytechnic
We take our car for a warrant of fitness every six months but what about our bodies? The New Year is a great time to continue or start new and healthier habits.
- Do you have balance in your life? Can you say to yourself: today I have achieved one social goal (like having a cuppa with a friend), one healthy goal (such as having a salad for lunch or skipping that extra alcoholic drink), and one feel-good goal (like doing something that spins your wheels)?
- Have you had a health check-up? Do you know if your blood pressure is within a healthy range for your age (approximately 120/80)? Are your blood sugar levels between 3.9-6.1 mmols/L? What is a healthy weight for your height? For most adults, an ideal BMI is in the 18.5-24.9 range. When did your GP last order a cholesterol check for you?
- Am I eating my colours? Try to eat fruit or vegies from each colour group each day: white,orange, red, green, brown, purple. This helps ensure an adequate intake of healthy vitamins and minerals
- What about my immunisation status? Is it time for a tetanus booster?
- Summer sore tummy? Ensure that food is prepared, presented and stored without extra visitors like flies. The fridge is your friend and clean hands are a must.
- Summer sun safety. West Coast sunshine is special and it burns. Slip on a tee-shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat.
Happy summer – happy body
Tai Poutini Polytechnic offers a range of Health and Beauty programmes including: Pre Health and Science, Hair Beauty and Grooming and First Aid.
Enrolments now open for 2017. Contact TPP today, Freephone 0800 TPP INFO or visit www.tpp.ac.nz
SMALL ENOUGH TO CARE, BIG ENOUGH TO COUNT.