Summer driving tips from TPP
Ivan Wilson Tutor – Road Safety Co-ordinator, Tai Poutini Polytechnic
Before you get behind the wheel these summer holidays, check out our summer driving tips.
- Plan your journey; give yourself time to make the trip without rushing.
- Check your car is road safe; don’t forget to fill your window washing fluid, water, oil and fuel. Check your spare is in the boot!
- Handy items to take on your journey include: a first aid kit, torch, emergency blanket, jacket, wet wipes, tissues, power pack and jumper leads.
- Pack your car well. Don’t overload your car and ensure everything is tied down.
- Buckle up and ensure children are in the right seat.
- Share driving, take regular breaks and if you do get tired take a power nap – it could save you.
- Stay hydrated; sip water and don’t forget the snacks.
- Observe the speed limits, drive to the conditions and keep a safe following distance.
- Sunstrike will become an issue in the early morning and later in the day. Remember your sunnies and sunscreen!
- Don’t drink and drive; have a safe option.
Remain focused on the drive so you’ll be ready to spot hazards before they morph into something serious.
Have a Safe and Merry Christmas from TPP!
Tai Poutini Polytechnic offers a range of trades programmes including: Driver Education, Automotive, Carpentry, Engineering and Agriculture.
Enrolments now open for 2017 contact TPP today, freephone 0800 TPP INFO or visit www.tpp.ac.nz
SMALL ENOUGH TO CARE, BIG ENOUGH TO COUNT