Want to make the most of your staff
Are your staff capable but lacking motivation? There are ways you can find out what motivates them and how you can use this to drive performance in your organisation. There are lots of different theories about motivation in the workplace but one common one is Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, which outlines five key motivating factors:
- Physiological needs such as basic pay, work environment and tea and coffee
- Safety needs including safety from physical and emotional harm
- Belongingness needs such as working in a team with good colleagues
- Esteem needs which include consideration and respect from others plus a sense of self worth
- Self-actualisation needs such as challenging projects and opportunities for growth and career development.
If you understand what your employees need, then you can focus on providing these and improve motivation in your workplace.
For more information about motivation, come along to TPP’s Organisations and Management course with tutor, Kate Campbell, starting 24 July 2017.