Tai Poutini Polytechnic in the West Coast Community
Tai Poutini Polytechnic is proud to be a part of the strong West Coast community. We are lucky to live in this magnificent part of the world and, as your local tertiary education provider, we see our role as much more than just upskilling our residents.We are part of the local community and we place great value on getting involved in events and activities that make a difference to our people. Whether it’s through sponsorship, administration assistance or getting out there and lending a hand on the day, we’ll be there when it matters.
Tai Poutini Poltyechnic has sponsored a range of community events including:
- Friends of Waiuta
- Grey District Youth Trust
- Greymouth Waitangi Day Picnic
- Tuatara Trail Run
Our culinary arts students supported the police by at the annual Blue Light Breakfast, providing a cooked breakfast and packed lunch for local volunteers. Outdoor Education students and staff then showed them a great time on the river that afternoon.
There are also plenty of opportunities for our music students and staff to take part in local events. Recently, we’ve been involved in Youth Day at Dixon Park, AgFest in Hokitika, Star for a Night with the Paroa Tennis Club and Christmas in the Park at Dixon Park. We also hosted the annual Blue Light Disco (a warm up for Rockquest) in our Atrium and helped support other music events including the Greymouth Buskers’ Festival and the Classic Hits Winery Tour, along with many other smaller local events.
MAINZ in the community
Music makes an event. Whether it’s ambient background to set the mood, a grab your attention get up and dance DJ mix, or a live artist or band giving it their all, everyone responds to music. It’s fun, it brings people together, it’s a massive global industry. MAINZ continues to play its part in the local music and events scene.
MAINZ is about teaching and learning and participating: sharing a passion for music that spills out of the classroom and into the community. MAINZ is always keen to develop relationships with different organisations and, where possible, take part in their events. It keeps us connected and gives our students some wonderful opportunities to apply their skills in a real world context.
MAINZ students contribute in different ways. Live Sound and Event Management students help make things happen; Audio Engineering students create live recordings; Performance students showcase their skills to a wider audience. Getting out into the community adds value both to the events and to the students’ experience.
MAINZ Auckland has continued to foster its relationship with:
- Rock Quest and Pacifica Beats competitions
- The big band KBB Music Festival
- The Lewis Eady school music holiday programme
- Music Industry Commission events with Shona Laing and Tama Waipara
- NZ Ukelele Festival
- New Zealand Pacific Music Awards
These are just a few of the events MAINZ Auckland has been part of. Meanwhile, MAINZ Christchurch are also active in the community in the following ways:
- Sound and lighting for the RDU 98.5FM Decknology and RoundUp band competitions.
- Sound and lighting for LYFE Festival and all Rockquest heats and finals around the South Island.
- Run a selection of short courses/ACE courses and help out at some school events such as musicals.
- Greymouth students take part in TPP’s Matariki festival, stage a number of their own performances, and help out at Rock Quest and Christmas in the Park.
There’s always something going on at TPP. Interested? Come, join our community.