Get started on a career in New Zealand’s booming construction industry with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s New Zealand Certificate in Trade Skills, Carpentry. There are plenty of career options in construction right now, and graduates are sought-after by industry.
Our experienced tutors also have great relationships with local builders and you’ll have the opportunity to get hands-on during work experience. Graduates of the construction programme will have learnt the core skills, workplace safety and practices, carpentry terminology and concepts, building technology, and foundation processes and techniques.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills, Carpentry
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:34 weeks
- Total Duration:40 weeks
- Start Date:February 2019
- End Date:November 2019
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$6,174
- Student Service Fee:$100
- International Fee (2018):
Full fee breakdown click here
Core elements in this programme include:
- Workplace safety and practices
- Core skills for construction trades
- Carpentry terminology and concepts
- Building technology and properties
- Construction and installation processes and techniques
- Carpentry project preliminaries
- Carpentry project foundation and support structures
- Carpentry project frames, structures and building envelope
- Carpentry project interior linings and finishing
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme is divided into nine courses which will even out the workload throughout the year.
The rationale used to structure the teaching and learning hours, workshop hours and supervised practice is based on students having more tutor directed learning at the start of the programme which will decrease as the programme progresses to more self directed learning.
Courses with a high technical content will have more tutor directed hours to reflect the complexities of the topic.
Further Study Pathways
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills Level 4
- National Certificate in Construction Site Management
Graduates of this programme will have the skills to pursue a career in the construction industry in a variety of positions such as Apprentice Carpenter, Hammer hand or Skilled Labourer.
- Ideally applicants will have a minimum of three years secondary schooling and NCEA Level 2
- Literacy and numeracy at Level 2, although assistance will be given if required.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5.
Check out what students built for the Project House 2018
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme