*A new programme is being developed for 2019
Graduates of the Diploma in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 5) are able to apply technical carving knowledge and skills to their own artistic exploration and design of carving jade and hard stones. Graduates will be prepared for self-employment, employment in industry and/or higher level study and personal exploration. It is expected that graduates at this level will be able to produce unique creative works of art for exhibition or commission. You will complete a number Design and carving projects based on given brief and Independent design and carving project based on a brief developed by the student and agreed with tutor. The overall purpose of the Diploma is to develop the creative design process and enhance learner’s artistic interpretation of jade and hard stone carving.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:Diploma in Jade & Hard Stone Carving (Level 5)
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:34 weeks
- Total Duration:40 weeks
- Start Date:Enquire for more information
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$2,969
- Course Cost:$627
- Student Service Fee:$50
- International Fee (2018):
Full fee breakdown click here
- Design and carving project based on given brief.
- Tikanga Māori, design process, 3D drawing, 3D modelling, Pounamu carving.
- Historical and contemporary study of Māori, Asian and European Pounamu/ jade carvers.
- Presentation project, photography and portfolio.
- Independent design and carving project based on a brief developed by the student and agreed with tutor. Marae or studio based.
Programme Structure and Workload
The Diploma in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 5) is a local programme consisting entirely of provider standards as no unit standards at this level, or national qualifications, exist. It is a 34 week, full-time programme, although it can be completed part-time over several years.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- NCEA Level 2 credits in English and Maths
- Completion of the Certificate in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 4) (or equivalent).
- Some courses have prerequisites – see Course Descriptors in Section K for details.
- Applicants for whom English is not their first language must have an IELTS (or equivalent) score of 5.5.
- Special entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme. Please contact the Polytechnic for details.
Advice to applications"
- Candidates must possess the physical capacity to engage in the practical carving components of the programme
- Diagnostic literacy testing may be conducted to identify applicants requiring. Students identified as requiring support /assistance in coping with tertiary level study. Such applicants will be encouraged into the Academic Skills elective.