Turn your passion for art and sculpture into a lifelong career with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s Jade and Hard Stone Carving programmes. The training teaches students the core skills and understanding of the industry they need to enter the busy carving world. You’ll also learn techniques and design skills that will allow you to create highly desirable one-off pieces of work. Former students have competed against New Zealand’s top carvers in national competitions and taken away top honours – you’ll be able to put your skills to the test in a real world environment as tutors put you in touch with industry.
Students will be encouraged to engage in creative exploration, personal growth, independent study and the development of work ethics suitable for the industry. The learning environment will foster group evaluation and critique to promote reflection and development of critical and analytical skills.
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 3)
- Method of Study:Blended
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:18 weeks
- Total Duration:20 weeks
- Start Date:February 2019
- End Date:June 2019
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$3,500
- Student Service Fee:$50
- International Fee (2018):
Full fee breakdown click here
The New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 3) programme provides learning experiences that enable students to develop the core knowledge, skills and personal attributes needed to gain employment in entry level positions in the New Zealand artistic carving industry.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Understand the implications of the Treaty of Waitangi for hard stone and jade carving in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Develop an understanding of the geology and properties of different stones and how they react to processing
- Demonstrate an understanding of carving design concepts and techniques, and apply this to carving hard stone and jade to a set brief
- Explore potential education and employment pathways
- Collaborate with others, select and present work in context
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme balances classroom-based theory with a range of practical learning contexts to assist students to achieve the New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Levels 3).
Further Study Paths
Diploma in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 4)
The overall aim of the New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 3) programme is to provide learning experiences that enable students to develop the core knowledge, skills and personal attributes sought by employers and required for basic entry level positions.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- NCEA level 2 credits in English and Mathematics.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 or above.
- Special Entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme. Please contact the Polytechnic for details.
Advice to applicants:
- Candidates must possess the physical capacity to engage in the practical carving components of the programme.
- Diagnostic literacy testing may be conducted to identify applicants requiring support. Students identified as requiring support / assistance in coping with tertiary level study will be supported by the polytechnic Student Support Services.