Business Leadership and Management (L5)
Keen to learn the ins and outs of business? Have your friends always raved about your entrepreneurial spirit? Perhaps you’ve got business experience but no qualification to back it up?
This qualification provides learners with the skills needed to run a business operation. Over the course of the programme, students will learn how to apply core technical knowledge and people, cognitive, affective and business environment skills within an operational context. Students must complete five core compulsory papers, and three elective papers from the Leadership and Management strand.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:New Zealand Diploma in Business (with strand in Leadership and Management) (Level 5)
- Location:Greymouth and Westport
- Method of Study:Blended (online and face-to-face)
- Holiday Duration:4 weeks
- Teaching Duration:32 weeks
- Total Duration:36 weeks
- Start Date:Intake 1: 26 February 2018, Intake 2: 16 April 2018
- End Date:Intake 1: 12 November 2018, Intake 2: 10 December 2018
From $720 to $750 per paper
- International Fee (2018):
Full fee breakdown click here
- MGT100 Introduction to Accounting (RPL from 500 Accounting Principles)
- MGT 101 Introduction to Human Resource Management
- MGT 103 Introduction to Applied Management (RPL from 530 Organisation and Management)
- MGT 104 Introduction to Applied Marketing (RPL from 541 Fundamentals of Marketing)
- MGT 105 Business Communications (RPL from 560 Business Communication)
- MGT 106 Introduction to Quality Management
- MGT 110 Workplace Relationships
- MGT 112 Introduction to Leadership
- MGT 111 Administration Systems
- MGT 113 Introduction to Project Management
Programme Structure and Workload
Our business tutors at Tai Poutini Polytechnic strive to get the very best from every student, using a mixture of face-to-face and online teaching.
Due to the online component of this course students will need to have access to the internet and a computer.
To undertake full time study, students must complete 60 credits per 17-week intake.
Full time acceptance into the programme will be at the Programme Manager’s discretion in accordance with the entry criteria below.
Students who study full time for two intakes will complete the qualification (with one strand) within one year.
- Working 20 or more hours per week = enrol in a maximum of 15 credits per 8-week intake.
- Working less than 20 hours per week = enrol in a maximum of 60 credits per 17-week intake.
This is intended as a guide only, as individual circumstances will differ between students.
Students studying part-time have a maximum of five years to complete the qualification.
Further Study Paths
Students can extend their studies beyond this course, and move into the NZ Diploma in Business Level 6 or Bachelor of Applied Management.
On completion of this course, students will be well-equipped to move into management and leadership roles at an operational level.
A career in business is an exciting one, that can take you around the world and to all manner of companies - be they big or small.
Perhaps you dream of one day starting up your own social enterprise or running an internationally-acclaimed commercial company? All we ask is that you dream big and together, we can help you achieve your goals.
Applicants must have:
Applicants under 20 years:
Applicants should be a minimum of 18 years of age, have completed a minimum of 4 years secondary education, and have attained a minimum of 12 NCEA credits at Level 2 in each of four approved subjects.
Applicants over 20 years:
Applicants over the age of 20 years will be considered where they can demonstrate the ability to succeed in the programme.
Students for whom English is not their first language may also be required to provide evidence of English language skills as listed below.
- IELTS 5.5 Academic (no lower than 5.0 in any subtest). For acceptable alternatives refer to the English Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
Note: IELTS scores used must be taken from a single IELTS Test Report Form and are valid for two years from the date of the test.