To work in the applied health sciences sector, you need a strong science grounding. This programme provides you with all of the skills you’ll need to kickstart your training, and your career.
From nursing to mental health, vet services to massage and beauty, an understanding of applied sciences is a prerequisite for higher level study.
Secure your future with the skills and knowledge you’ll need for further training in health and science:
Human structure and function
Measurements and scientific notations
Mental health and ethics
Teamwork and professional relationships
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3)
- Location:Greymouth and Westport
- Method of Study:Face to Face, Blended, Online, Full Time or Part Time
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:17 weeks
- Total Duration:19 weeks
- Start Date:July 2018 and February 2019
- End Date:November 2018 and June 2019
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$3,119
- Student Service Fee:$50
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Identify and apply knowledge obtained from a variety of specialised sources relevant for pre-entry to health sciences.
- Manage their own learning and work effectively as an individual and as a team member to achieve relevant goals.
- Solve problems and communicate clearly using a range of appropriate media.
- Evaluate opportunities and develop plans for study and career pathways in in health sciences.
Method of Study
Face to Face, Blended, Online, Full Time or Part Time
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme runs for 17 weeks, starting in February and running until June, with a two week break in April.
Each week, you’ll attend tutorials for around 20-22 hours, and undertake approximately 16 hours of self-directed learning.
Further Study Paths
- NZ Cert in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4)
- NZIM Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled Nurse) (Level 5)
- NZ Cert in Vet Nursing Assistant (Level 5)
- NZ Cert in Animal Technology (Level 5)
- NZ Cert in Rural Animal Technician (Level 5)
- NZ Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation
- Diploma in Social Services
This Certificate helps you gain the academic prerequisites that may be required for further study in a wide range of applied health careers, such as:
- Enrolled Nurse
- Massage Therapist
- Beauty Therapist
- Diversional Therapist
- Support worker for Aged Care and People with Disabilities
- Mental Health and Addiction Support Worker
Applicants must have:
- The ability to demonstrate a likelihood of success in the programme. This may be demonstrated through a variety of means including relevant work experience (e.g. CV), achievement of NCEA standards in human biology, successful completion of a programme of study at level 2 or above in a related discipline and/or employment in the related sector for one or more years.
- Personal commitment and a belief in one’s own ability to succeed are important personal traits and will always be taken into consideration during the selection process.
- Students will be interviewed prior to enrolling on this programme. This enables staff to counsel students on intended workload, and familiarise them with the programme content and facilities.
- If the number of applicants is greater than the number of places on the programme, then applicants who meet the entry requirements are accepted in the order of submission.
- Entry IELTS 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0, or equivalent
- Should you wish to enrol on a degree level programme in the future you will need to have achieved the Certificate in Study and Career Preparation at Level 4. This Level 3 certificate meets the academic prerequisites for study at Level 4 programmes
- Part time students must complete the Programme within 2 years of first enrolling