Live Sound and Event Production
Immerse yourself in the culture and excitement of live events and learn the essential behind-the-scenes skills needed to stage a successful production.
This programme focuses on the range of activities and essential skills needed to stage successful live events, including live sound engineering, lighting and set construction, event management, administration and computing.
It’s practical, industry-focused and full of fascinating insights. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to put theory into practice and work with other MAINZ students on in-house shows and tours, as well as other community events.
There’s a thriving live event industry, both in New Zealand and overseas. Make this your passport to a varied and interesting career.
- Credit Value:120
- Location:Auckland; Christchurch
- Method of Study:Full time (Part time options available)
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:34 weeks
- Total Duration:40 weeks
- Start Date:20 February 2017
- End Date:27 November 2017
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$5,911
- Student Service Fee:$230
- NZQA Fee:$6
- International Fee (2017):
Full fee breakdown click here
- Sound wave theory
- Sound perception and measurement
- Electricity and electronics
- Cabling, interconnection and earthing
- Digital technology
- Loudspeakers and crossovers
- Amplifiers and PA systems
- Mixing consoles
- Delay and reverb
- Front of house and monitor mixing
- Live recording
- Lighting desks / lighting technology
- Lighting production / colour theory
- Audio visual equipment
- Stage management and crewing
- Production design
- Introduction to rigging
- Tour management
- Venue and event management
- Administration skills
- First aid
- Health and safety
Work as a live sound engineer, stage technician, AV technician, lighting operator, or as a member of a production crew.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Have at least 20 credits in formal writing and 20 numeracy credits at, or the equivalent of, NCEA Level 1 or above
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 with no band lower than 5.0
- Applicants will be required to attend an interview
- Applicants need to be able to demonstrate (in the opinion of the Programme Leader) a high level of motivation and a desire to succeed in this demanding field(determined by application and interview)
- If the number of applicants exceeds the positions available on the programme, preference will be given to applicants with Merit or Excellence passes in Maths, Physics and Music at, or the equivalent of, NCEA Level 2 or above
- Consideration will be given to applicants aged 20 years or older who do not meet the above criteria, if they can demonstrate a history of work, experience in the industry (or in the opinion of the Programme Leader) could complete the programme successfully.