Tai Poutini Polytechnic (TPP) has accommodation available for students studying at West Coast Campuses in Tai Poutini Village, located in Greymouth*.
*Various accommodation options for students studying at other campuses are also included below.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic Greymouth has 58 accommodation rooms available for 2019. If demand exceeds supply we will actively seek external rentals, Student Services will also be available for assistance.
The accommodation includes:
- 58 individual rooms in six units with shared common room, ablutions and kitchens
Weekly rentals are $143.00 per room (inclusive of electricity) for 2019. An initial payment in advance of $736.00 is required, this is made up from:
- $100.00 Admin Fee - non refundable
- $350.00 Bond - refundable on satisfactory exit inspection
- $286.00 two weeks rent in advance
Tai Poutini Village units are all in close proximity of the TPP Greymouth Campus, as well as the Greymouth CBD.
Residents of Tai Poutini Village are expected to maintain high standards of conduct and take responsibility for the security and general cleanliness of their allocated accommodation. Cleaning equipment is supplied, but you are required to purchase your own cleaning products. All rooms are subject to periodic inspection.
- The Residency Agreement must be signed to secure a room or be placed on the waiting list
- Initial payment is required to secure a room or be placed on the waiting list
- Laundry facilities supplied – washing machines and dryers require $2 to operate
- Beds are king singles
- Residents are required to supply all bedding: duvet, blankets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, towels, hand towel, flannels and tea towels
- Residents are required to supply their own TV and free to air unit for individual rooms – a TV is supplied for all common areas
- All units have a phone for local calls only
- Internet access is not supplied within the village but there is a student’s computer suite located in the campus library
- All units are supplied with fridge/freezer, furnishings, microwave, jugs, toaster and basic cooking equipment
- There is limited off-street parking
- All residents’ are to have insurance to cover their personal belongings
- All accommodation units are unsupervised
- No pets are allowed in the accommodation or village grounds
- There is a zero tolerance to illegal drugs, alcohol, smoking cigarettes or vape
- Meals are resident’s own responsibility
Termination of Residence
Tai Poutini Polytechnic reserves the right to terminate the residency agreement where a tenant has demonstrated unsatisfactory behaviour, committed a major breach of the rules or on withdrawal from study at Tai Poutini Polytechnic.
Method of Application
Applicants for student accommodation are required to complete the application form and return it to:
Tai Poutini Polytechnic
Private Bag 607
As there is limited accommodation available application for accommodation is required a early as possible to be able to secure a room.
Applicants should fill in their name and school (if appropriate) on the confidential report form and pass it on to the principal of the school they presently attend or most recently attended. The principal (or his or her nominee) will complete the form and forward it to the Accommodation office under separate cover.
For applicants who have left school, including mature students, a personal reference from a Justice of the Peace, minister of religion, work colleague or other community figure is required.
All residents must be 18 years of age or older (or will be turning 18 during Week 2 of their programme start date) - unless specific prior written consent from the Chief Executive's Office has been given.
- Applications for accommodation should be made as soon as programme acceptance has been received.
- Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications as soon as possible after the selection meeting.
- Successful applicants will be allocated a room by Tai Poutini Polytechnic.
- Unsuccessful students may be waitlisted.
Private board and rental accommodation are also available close to the campus.
For More information please phone Rebecca on: (03) 769 9651
Seal Colony Top 10 Holiday Park | 03-789 8002
Westport Holiday Park | 03-789 7043
Bazils Hostel Ltd | 03-789 6410
Pakington House for Accommodation | 03-789 5657
Foc'sle Hostel | 03-789 6226
TripInn Hostel | 0800737773 or 03-789 7367
Motels and Hotels
Reefton Auto Lodge | 03-732 8406
Hotel Reefton | 03-732 8447
Wilson’s Hotel | 03-732 8800
Bellbird Motels | 03-732 8444
Lantern Court | 03-732 8574
Bed & Breakfasts
Reef Cottage B&B | 03-732 8440
Quartz Lodge B&B | 03-732 8383
Alfresco’s Accommodation | 03-732 8513
The Old Bread Shop | 03-732 8420
Old Nurses Home | 03-732 8881
Reefton Domain | 03-732 8477
Rose Cottage | 03-732 8827
A range of accommodation is available in Wanaka including rental housing, private board, hostel/backpacker and five camping grounds. Rental housing ranges in price from approximately $90–$160 per room per week. Students often share rental accommodation.
Some students arrange accommodation as early as possible in order to secure a place. Students who don’t secure their accommodation before arriving in Wanaka typically spend a week in a motor camp before they get sorted. Please complete the “Sharing of Contact Information” section of the ski patrol questionnaire and return if you are interested in sharing accommodation with other Ski Patrol students.
Rental housing ranges in price from about $250–$450 per week, depending on the number of bedrooms. This equates to $90–$160 per person. The houses can be 2–4 bedrooms, furnished or unfurnished.
Private board often includes meals, power and phone. Prices vary and are usually advertised in “The Messenger”.
There are several camping grounds in the Wanaka area with a range of cabins, tents and caravan sites.
Typically facilities include single or twin share rooms, kitchen and common room. The average rate is $25.00 per night. Cheaper rates are negotiable for long term stayers.
Wanaka Accommodation Contact details
Wanaka Top 10 Holiday Park | 03-443 7360
Lake Outlet Holiday Park | 03-443 7478
Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park | 03-443 7883
Bullock Creek Lodge | 03-443 1265
Mountain View Backpackers | 03-443 9010
Wanaka YHA | 03-443 1880
Lake Hawea Holiday Park | 03-443 1767
Matterhorn South Lodge and Backpackers | 03-443 1119
Pleasant Lodge Holiday Park | 03-443 7360
Real Estate Agents that may also be able to help you find accommodation
Harcourts Real Estate | 03-443 7829
Locations | 03-443 0150
LJ Hooker | 03-443 7120
Kindleys Real Estate | 03-443 7121
The list above is not exhaustive and an energetic search will uncover more contacts and leads.
Advertisements can also be placed in Wanaka’s local newsletter ‘The Messenger’.
Contact: PrintIt on 03-443 7804, this can also be read online here.
Satellite towns of Hawea, Albertown and Luggate also offer potential rental properties within 10 minutes driving time of Wanaka.