Do you want a career in construction? Enrol in building and construction at TPP and get prepared for your apprenticeship. You’ll be trained in every aspect of a house build – including foundations and roofing – so you’re ready for work on the West Coast where our builders do the lot. You’ll even get to build a three-bedroom house alongside your classmates and get a feel for the real job.
The 34-week programme gets you ready for work. It includes three weeks’ work experience with a local West Coast builder, which can often lead to offers of apprenticeships after your training is finished.
TPP tutors make sure you know how to handle yourself on a building site. You’ll learn how to use hand and power tools, understand health and safety practices on-site and become more confident and more employable on a building site.
Graduates of TPP’s building and construction programmes are in-demand. Local builders are busy right now and they are keen to employ graduates who have learned the basics and know how to get the job done.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills, Carpentry
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:34 weeks
- Total Duration:40 weeks
- Start Date:February 2020
- End Date:November 2020
Free fees may apply, refer
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$6,298
** Additional costs:
You should expect to spend approximately $500 on programme specific equipment (apron, hammer, rule, tape, pencil, square, punch set, chisel set, driver set, screwdriver set, safety glasses, ear muffs and knife). This can be covered by the course-related costs section of your student loan (if you are eligible). You can borrow up to $1,000 even if you are not drawing down the tuition fees component of your student loan, e.g. those students who are fees-free.
Core elements in this programme include:
- Workplace safety and practices
- Core skills for construction trades
- Carpentry terminology and concepts
- Building technology and properties
- Construction and installation processes and techniques
- Carpentry project preliminaries
- Carpentry project foundation and support structures
- Carpentry project frames, structures and building envelope
- Carpentry project interior linings and finishing
Programme Structure and Workload
The construction programme runs for 34 weeks including theory, practical learning and work-experience training in the industry.
Further Study Pathways
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills Level 4
- National Certificate in Construction Site Management
Graduates of this programme will have the skills to pursue a career in the construction industry in a variety of positions such as Apprentice Carpenter, Hammer hand or Skilled Labourer.
- Ideally applicants will have a minimum of three years secondary schooling and NCEA Level 2
- Literacy and numeracy at Level 2, although assistance will be given if required.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5.
Check out what students built for the Project House 2018
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme