Get started on a career in New Zealand’s booming construction industry with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s New Zealand Certificate in Trade Skills, Carpentry. There are plenty of career options in construction right now, and graduates are sought-after by industry.
Our experienced tutors also have great relationships with local builders and you’ll have the opportunity to get hands-on during work experience. Graduates of the construction programme will have learnt the core skills, workplace safety and practices, carpentry terminology and concepts, building technology, and foundation processes and techniques.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills, Carpentry
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:34 weeks
- Total Duration:40 weeks
- Start Date:18 February 2019
- End Date:22 November 2019
Free fees may apply, refer
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$6,298
- Student Service Fee:$100
** Additional costs:
You should expect to spend approximately $500 on programme specific equipment (apron, hammer, rule, tape, pencil, square, punch set, chisel set, driver set, screwdriver set, safety glasses, ear muffs and knife). This can be covered by the course-related costs section of your student loan (if you are eligible). You can borrow up to $1,000 even if you are not drawing down the tuition fees component of your student loan, e.g. those students who are fees-free.
Core elements in this programme include:
- Workplace safety and practices
- Core skills for construction trades
- Carpentry terminology and concepts
- Building technology and properties
- Construction and installation processes and techniques
- Carpentry project preliminaries
- Carpentry project foundation and support structures
- Carpentry project frames, structures and building envelope
- Carpentry project interior linings and finishing
Programme Structure and Workload
Courses with a high technical content will have more tutor directed hours to reflect the complexities of the topic.
Further Study Pathways
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills Level 4
- National Certificate in Construction Site Management
Graduates of this programme will have the skills to pursue a career in the construction industry in a variety of positions such as Apprentice Carpenter, Hammer hand or Skilled Labourer.
- Ideally applicants will have a minimum of three years secondary schooling and NCEA Level 2
- Literacy and numeracy at Level 2, although assistance will be given if required.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5.
Check out what students built for the Project House 2018
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme